Us and them? [was Re: Livecode Dictionary]

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:04:15 EST 2019

Hi Curry - you wrote:

A project wiki would fit in the SE better than it would the Dictionary,
> of course, it would have more features and I could see that being a tab.
> But then again user keyword comments would fit the Dictionary very well,
> they could simply be added there. Having a separate LC window for a
> project wiki is another approach. I would say the tab would be handier
> and more integrated into workflow, but the separate window might be good
> for performance and memory.

In terms of GUI - it is possible to have the best of both worlds.
Integration into the SE, or have the same stack viewed in it's own window.
On a fast machine you might want the full experience with tabs in the SE
-on a slower machine a separate stack showing only text as fast as
possible. You can use front scripts as Richard says, but i preferred to add
behaviours so as to not pollute the environment.

Adding widgets that live replace say the documentation field is also
possible as the SE is destroyed when closed. I've tested all those and they
work well. It would be better to have a standard for that sort of thing -
as otherwise the development can be broken with RunRev updates - so so far
I've kept my integrations minimal.

For me the first stage is the content, and collaboration workflow - if the
basic content of the documentation and the utility of forking / customising
individual pages for a developer is strong - and i'm not the only one that
likes working that way - then creating more advanced SE integrations looks
straight forwards.