Us and them? [was Re: Livecode Dictionary]

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Jan 22 10:15:08 EST 2019

Just to clarify, I didn’t really mean to suggest that there was a plan - it’s just that a lot of the creative energy around LC and its development seems to be going away from this as if it were bad, basically because it’s hard to do version control on binary stacks, as far as I can see. I do understand that separating UI elements and code is good practice, but for many types of projects it can be taken too far, I think. I am all for libraries, for example, but I don’t want to strip my stacks right down to a graphical shell. LC and its predecessors aren’t really designed for that - they are essentially systems where interaction with graphic elements via a message path is the key idea, which means that there **must** be some level of scripting at the UI level. To try to suggest that good practice takes that away completely, or as near completely as ingenuity can make it, seems to me a distortion of an really excellent model of interaction - but that’s just my opinion, of course.

Graham