Us and them? [was Re: Livecode Dictionary]

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 05:32:25 EST 2019

Oh, let's get campy.

In a perfect world there should not really be a need for "us" and "them"
camps with LiveCode,
it should cater to all people along a continuum stretching from "us" to
"them".

While LiveCode may be tending to introduce more "them" features
(arguably because all
"us" features are already in place), as long as that does not detract or
break any of the
"us" features there should be nothing to argue about.

When I teach programming with LiveCode I stick to the "us" features
because I believe skills
learnt there are more basic and portable to other languages; but I am
not so narrow minded to see
that many of the "them" features have their place and use in the great
scheme of things.

This is why my "prayer" is that the good folks at LiveCode central only
deprecate features
when that is absolutely unavoidable.

Richmond.