windows defender issues? & other AV issues

R.H. roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:50:16 EST 2019

Windows: Regarding the many replies to the question of allowing saving a
stack file I would like to thank everybody for the answers by Matthias,
Bob, Alex, Jacqueline, JJS ...

The problem was that a stack file used by a compiled splash stack does not
save on some client's computers with Windows systems >= 7 and can only be
run once leaving an unsaved file that is renamed with a tilde character.

===

I am distributing the executing splash stack (compiled stack) in a folder
together with subfolders offering for download as a zip file. Users move
the zip to the desktop, unzips and uses. There is nothing stored in
inaccessible "system" or whatever non-user directories. It is a very simple
setup.

In one subfolder of the executable, the actual data stack is residing.

Yes, I am aware that I could save data outside of the stack and not save
the stack itself, but I agree with Richard that it must be possible to
store data in the stack itself in principle. For now, it would require a
new version if I stored data outside. But it is a good hint and I might
consider for later.

Another solution put forward by Alex was to rename the stack file from the
splash stack that failed to save and remove the tilde from the filename. In
fact, it could be a workaround and I have to test it, but it is ugly and it
would not allow saving after all. I will test it though as a quick solution.

Another question was whether user rights on client's computers might
disallow them to save the stack. But then, I checked and they usually use
Admin rights, then also the executable splash stack would not run. The data
stack is just a file to the system, nothing more. And why would it be
permitted on some machines and other not? (I checked that nobody is using
forbidden directories.)

The problem may be a bit deeper. I am also considering that if the stack
file is too big and the process of saving takes so long as in this case
(always > 15 secs, often 30 secs and more, even though no data was changed
at all) and Windows Defender might detect such activity and stop it because
of a time out. Just wild speculations...

Another speculation is that the stack file is somehow corrupted (not
detectable by me) and maybe the LiveCode team can check it's integrity. Or
is there a way to check this as well? I have started a ticket to look at
the problem.

I will report when I found a solution. I see that other users here might
not have encountered such problem on Windows machines and this in itself is
also valuable information.

Thanks to all
Roland