MouseDown on Enter

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jan 1 15:39:06 EST 2019

First I would consider whether you want *exactly* that UI, or whether
something very similar would do.

If similar is OK, then I would invert the logic of the UI:

  - if the mouse (pointer) is over a hexagon, and the mouse is not being
pressed - play that note, and keep playing it

  - if mouse moves into another hex, change note

  - when the mouse is pressed - and for as long as it stays pressed -
play nothing.

That is very easy to do (at least, without testing it :,)  :

each hexagon has handlers that do :

on mouseenter
    -- do whatever it is you do to play a note (??)
end mouseenter

on mouseup
    -- do whatever it is you do to play a note (??)
end mouseup

on mouseleave
     -- stop playing the current note
end mouseleave

(actually, probably easier to do single handlers, which check "the
target" to determine which hex is being entered/left). Note that whne
you move form one to another, it's

and the card/group has a handler

on mousedown
    -- stop playing the current note
end mousedown

and that, I think,  should be all you need..

However - I'm not sure that's a very intuitive UI ("release to play"),
so I'd probably go the extra mile and do the harder one that replicates
the original UI. And that *is* harder, so I will try it out before I say
any more about it ...

On 01/01/2019 15:23, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
> OK, OK; let's be direct and to the point:
>
> I want to "rip off" the functionality of this web-page:
>
> http://terpstrakeyboard.com/about/
>
> Click on the "Play It Now!" menu item and follow through . . .
>
> You will end up with a microtonal keyboard that has this functionality:
>
> 1. When one performs a mouseDown on each hexagon a tone is played.
>
> 2. While the mouse button is held down the tone continues to sound.
>
> 3. If the mouse is dragged (while being pressed) from one hexagon to
> the next,
> the sound changes from that of the initial hexagon to the new one.
>
> So . . . there would seem to be something "there" that is a bit
> difficult to implement in LiveCode.
>
> I have 2 adjacent hexagons, called "h1" and "h2" containing these
> scripts, respectively:

> Dragging one's mouse while it is "down" from "h1" to H2" does not turn
> "h2" yellow!
>
> *THIS* is the functionality I am looking for.

Right - won\t work because H2 never gets a mouseEnter or mouseDown
because the mouse was already down when it moved into H2.

I will have a play later tonight and see what I can come up with
Alex.