Script Editor disassociates - a lossy LC IDE bug

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Dec 5 18:04:23 EST 2019

On 12/5/2019 5:42 PM, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

> Wondering if this bug has already been reported?
>
> I've seen a wonderful LC 9 IDE bug: sometimes the Script Editor window
> seems to disassociate from the object being edited. Thus after this
> bug is triggered, any typed script changes may not really be applied
> and saved, although they are shown as applied. Next LC session, those
> changes are gone; the stack code is still as it was prior to the bug
> being triggered and prior to editing the script.
>
> An alternate form is that the script changes actually are applied, but
> in a bad way: first the script disassociates completely and is empty,
> then the empty script is saved, overwriting the previous script. Nice!
> (I think this is my favorite variation; if we're going to cause loss
> of work/code, might as well do it boldly and not beat around the bush.)
>
> I suspect this happens more on Mac than Windows, but since I don't
> have a recipe, not sure. I've seen this happen to other people rather
> than on my own machine. On LC 905 for sure, and probably on 950 also.
>
> If Script Editor disassociation does happen, I advise immediate but
> careful no-save quit or force quit, and pray that you're already in
> the habit of backing up beforehand. Copy and paste the current script
> text to an external text editor if necessary. Of course this
> particular bug just might be able to defeat the safety of stack
> backups too in some situations, but hey, that's why it's an
> extra-fabulous bug!
>
> So, in addition to being a bit crashy and glitchy, the 9 IDE is a bit
> work-lossy. That could turn off both new and old users if they are the
> humor-deficient type to frown on losing some work. But shucks, ain't
> no thang! Only features features features (and new side projects)
> matter! Glad we all agree on that.
>
> Any reports or recipes on this issue? I'll post a report if there is
> none. Thanks....

I saw a similar error in earlier versions of LC9 where the script I was
editing was for a different object that what was indicate the Project
Browser. So the Project Browser was showing (highlighting) Object A but
actually thought it was on Object B.

It occurred fairly intermittently. I never developed a recipe and I have
not see this in the most recent releases (9.0.5 and 9.5.1)