Challenge: who can background this shell command?

Matthias Rebbe matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de
Thu Aug 1 10:39:56 EDT 2019

I just noticed that my last post was not easy to read

I´ve used the following shell command to redirect to a file instead of to /dev/null

/users/matthias/downloads/temp/MailHog > /users/matthias/downloads/temp/hubbabubba.txt 2>&1 &

My script looked like this

put "/users/matthias/downloads/temp/MailHog > /users/matthias/downloads/temp/hubbabubba.txt 2>&1 &" into tShell
put shell(tShell)
answer URL "file:/users/matthias/downloads/temp/hubbabubba.txt"

The answer dialog showed up immediately after executing the shell and it contained the redirected stdout data.

> filename	redirects the stdout to a file
2 > &1           	redirects stderr to stdout, which in my case is redirected to file hubbabubba.txt

 &          		puts the command in the background