mousemove doesn't recognize "shiftkey is down", but only under Windows

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Wed Sep 26 01:02:10 EDT 2018

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 10:50 PM Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode <

> Howard:
>
>  > All my test show that for the Shift key and the Option key, when
>  > called within a mousemove handler, it doesn't register that the
>  > keys are down unless the mouse button is clicked first.
>
> Hi Howard, I tested your code verbatim in the card script of a new stack
> in LC 901 on native Windows 10 with a real PC laptop, Dell Intel i5.
>
> It works fine here.

Thanks for testing this out.

> I also noticed that since "shiftkey" only has two
> states, you don't really need to test it twice; you could cut out the
> second "if" statement. In fact, this yields similar results:
>
> on mousemove x,y
>   put x,y && the shiftkey
> end mousemove

Lol. Yeah, I wasn't trying for elegance. I was making sure the code and
results were absolutely clear.

> So, despite the very significant issues that LC 9 has on real Windows,
> including a barely-usable script editor, it seems likely that this is
> not one of them. That's good news! But obviously you do have a problem.
>
> Have you tested your code in a brand new empty stack in a fresh and
> unmodded instance of LC, no extra plugins or scripts running? If so, if
> it's just Parallels, I have to say that virtual Windows isn't quite the
> same. Well, I guess an Intel Mac sporting a GUI that contradicts much of
> Apple's original research isn't quite the same either; I'm a big
> original Mac guy! :) But some details are different. That's why I always
> use real Mac and real Windows.

I have friend with a real Windows machine that will test the code of the
app where I applied this technique so, hopefully I'll be able to see if it
works on a real PC and if the problem is Parallels. I'm a Mac guy too and
only use Windows to test apps built for both platforms.

> But if you get different results with a fresh stack and LC, if there is
> something else going on and you would like me to test your actual stack
> (on native Windows) or help solve your problem, feel free to contact me
> off-list. Interesting.

Thanks. I'll let you know what my friend turns up.

> (Meanwhile, hope we can get improvements for some of the real Windows
> problems that LC has. It's difficult to type in the LC 901 script editor
> on Windows - that is a pretty huge issue. I have a WordLib update coming
> out in a few days, pending final tests, and it never hurts to have a
> fully usable version of the latest LC IDE on both platforms!)

I did work a little bit in the script editor under Windows and didn't
notice the awful problems you've been reporting, but again, it was just
some tweaks and code changes. I don't do most of my scripting under
Windows. I hope this gets fixed.

> Best wishes,
>
> Curry Kenworthy
>
> Custom Software Development