Standalone build workaround

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 19 16:18:00 EDT 2018

J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:31 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
>>
>>> The standalone builder no longer locks messages; the docs say this:
>>>
>>> "As an attempt to improve this situation, the code that locks messages
>>> when closing and opening stacks for standalone builds has been removed.
>>> This means that where previously mainstacks would not receive openStack
>>> and closeStack messages during standalone build, they now do."
>>>

>> Where in the docs does it say this (or what is the "situation" the code is
>> trying to improve)?
>
> The Release Notes, page 3. The situation it tries to fix:
>
> "The standalone builder has always needed to close the stacks it builds
> for reasons pretty deeply ingrained in the code. However this causes a
> few problems, for example:
> values in script locals become empty
> behaviors are broken when the parent script is on / in a stack which closes"
>
> I'm finding that the workaround is more trouble than the initial issues.
> The stack I'm helping with has multiple open* and close* handlers, and
> they all need to be updated.

^ this

Building a standalone is the whole point of the process of developing
with LC, and now that it's so disruptive it kills the joy of choosing
LiveCode.

For more than a decade I've believed making the SB into a separate
process would be a good idea.

It's no longer a good idea.  It's now a necessity.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems