Internet Date Service test

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Fri Sep 14 18:33:56 EDT 2018

Hi,

For trial version expiration of my program, I’ve been attempting to use the US Naval Observatory time service which has an API that returns info as JSON data:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/api.php#jdconv <http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/api.php#jdconv>

My request:
put URL "http://api.usno.navy.mil/jdconverter?date=today&time=22:15:23.5&ID=ArtsInteractive" into sJulianDateJSON

I have a handler that checks for the local variable sJulianDateJSON to contain the returned data, then I use the current Julian date returned (the number of days since January 1, 4713 BC) to write and check on the current date and expiration dates.

It seems to work well in on my computer and others in the USA, but a Windows tester in Costa Rica can’t seem to get a response. I haven’t figured out if this is a programming or Internet issue, and it’s difficult to determine since it works well for me on Mac and Windows.

Would any of you test this small LC stack — in the USA or elsewhere? And send me results directly to my email address?

https://artsinteractive-products.s3.amazonaws.com/MITA/Get_Julian_Date.livecode.zip <https://artsinteractive-products.s3.amazonaws.com/MITA/Get_Julian_Date.livecode.zip>

1. Click “Get Julian Date”. If it works, it should show a number in the “Julian Date” field after a few seconds.
2. “Clear” resets the result fields
3. The top field “Try x times” can be set to a larger number if necessary.
4. If it works the “Send Email” will attempt to use your email client to email me the results.

And… if anyone has a method that doesn’t rely on the user’s local date/time I’d like to hear that…

Thanks!

Peter Bogdanoff
ArtsInteractive