Slow LC 9 Performance - Test Stack, Video, QA Report

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Fri Sep 7 23:08:58 EDT 2018

Me:

 > I took some care to make the math test a true math test.

P.S. - I was careful about binary optimization for the original Root
Loops math test, but the alternate shift-click test I added later (big
calculations) didn't have that.

Doing so makes hardly any difference for LC6, but it does help LC9 quite
a bit. It brings the big calculations result on Windows down from 2x to
1.5x slower on my computer. That helps to separate the maths from the
loops. Very good point Jerry/Mark; whether it's due to Unicode or not,
conversion on 9 may be slower!

But even with conversion happening inside a loop, the unoptimized big
math was 2x slower whereas the main Root Loops test (always binary
optimized) is 2.7x slower, as is an empty loop with i.

So the loop itself, or especially the "with i" portion of it, might be
part of the problem. I had previously tested a loop with no i (repeat
sQty) and it was only 1.3 times slower. Hmmmmm. That could leave the
incrementing and the comparison to sQty. One of those could be a
culprit, or collectively maybe all 3 play a part; 1.3 ^ 3 = 2.2.

Unfortunately I don't have any time to pursue more tests right now, plus
I was determined at first to only provide the results and not speculate
too much on causes. Breaking my rule here. :)

But I hope we can get some great engine performance going soon, one way
or another. Run well-optimized scripts on a very fast engine and we'd be
blazing along nicely!

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development