3WDevolution question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 6 22:10:59 EDT 2018

Mark Wieder wrote:

 > On 09/06/2018 01:15 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >
 >> I see what's happening there.  It appears the IDE team is attempting
 >> to use a floating palette in a highly unusual way: rather than
 >> floating on top of a document, it's assumed to be placed at the left
 >> and when it is the windowBoundingRect is adjusted so that no other
 >> windows can be placed in a way that overlap it.  When the tool
 >> palette is moved to any other location sufficiently away from the
 >> left edge, the windowBoundingRect is apparently restore to the normal
 >> bounds everyone normally expects.
 >>
 >> You will find that the IDE's change to the windowBoundingRect affects
 >> all windows when using the maximize option for a window.
 >>
 >> This affects the dragging of 4W devolution's window because I have a
 >> customized appearance with my own title bar, and have scripted the
 >> dragging behavior to account for the windowBoundingRect so the window
 >> cannot be submarined beneath the menu bar or the Dock.
 >
 > Interesting. I haven't used the tools palette for many years, but I
 > see no strange interactions between PowerTools and Devolution either
 > on linux or on osx. Is the built-in tools palette doing something it
 > shouldn't be doing then? That sounds worthy of a bug report.

Maximize a window when the tool palette is flush left, then restore,
then try again after the palette has been moved more toward screen
center.  The changes the IDE makes to the windowBoundingRect should be
evident with that recipe on all platforms.

As for reporting it, I think it's more in the category of "design
decision", attempting to emulate a docked side panel when the tool
palette is at the left of the screen, while allowing it to resume the
customary behavior of a floating palette when placed anywhere else.

I find it's usually much faster and easier for me to modify and augment
the IDE however I like than to discuss it. LC Script is often a much
more efficient development solution than English. :)

If others feel strongly that the windowBoundingRect should not be
dynamically altered based on the position of a floating palette they're
welcome to report it.  I generally limit my own reports to engine issues
beyond my ability to correct for, or things frequently raised by
newcomers in the forums.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems