Chunked Off

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 09:22:59 EDT 2018

Yup: a lot.

I've got a text, in a field ("xText"), that contains the phrase "Ruyton
of the Eleven Towns."

[ Don't worry why it is "Ruyton of the Eleven Towns.": just part of an
ongoing, slightly kinky relationship with someone at LC central. ]

Now . . .

I can do this sort of thing:

on mouseDown
    put empty into fld "zText"
    put fld "xText" into exTEXT
    if matchChunk(exText,"Ruyton of the Eleven Towns.")  then
       --do something magical
       end if
end mouseDown

And the matchChunk will prove positive . . .

Now what I would like to do is dlete the chunk "Ruyton of the Eleven Towns."

from the string variable . . . BUT . . . if I "try to be clever":

on mouseDown
    put empty into fld "zText"
    put fld "xText" into exTEXT
    put "Ruyton of the Eleven Towns." into CHK
    if matchChunk(exText,CHK)  then
delete CHK from exTEXT
       end if
end mouseDown

the coloured line throws a "big, bad, bluey".

Richmond.