Where does LiveCode/Windows store specialFolderPath("Resources") data?

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Tue Oct 2 16:34:19 EDT 2018

That's the result I get when I'm running in the LC environment. That didn't
happen with a standalone. The dictionary describes where these files go: "In
a standalone, the resources folder where files or folders specified in the
Standalone Builder are located."  It says your resources go in "the
resources folder" where any files you've specified are located.

This appears to be referring to the Copy Files tab of the Standalone
Builder. Since my data file is created in the app, I don't have anything to
put in the Copy Files tab. If this tab is empty, what is the default
location? Is there some other place in the Standalone builder where you can
point to files or folders?

On the Mac, this definition is verifiable, since my data file *is* in the
Resources folder (although a couple levels down) within the application
bundle. Under Windows, is there actually a folder somewhere called
Resources? Where is it?

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 12:59 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode <

> It should report the parent folder of the executable. I just built a test
> and it works as expected per the dictionary entry for specialFolderPath.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> On Oct 2, 2018, 3:20 PM -0400, Howard Bornstein via use-livecode <
> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>, wrote:
> > I'm building a cross-platform app for Mac and Windows. I store a data
> file
> > that is update by the user in specialFolderPath("Resources"). On the
> Mac, I
> > know where this is and can even view it, using the Show Package command
> > from the Finder.
> >
> > One thing that is clear with the Mac is that this data file is
> encapsulated
> > with the app itself. If I run a separate instance of the app, the data
> file
> > is completely separate and not influenced by the data file of the first
> app.
> >
> > This doesn't seem to be the case with Windows. I've built 3 separate
> > standalones in Windows and have found, to my surprise, that if I change
> the
> > data file in one of the standalones, it is reflected in the datafile of
> the
> > others.
> >
> > Somehow it seems like the data file is stored externally from the app and
> > that all versions have access to it (whether that is my intent or not).
> >
> > I've build special versions for each platform with the command
> > "Put specialFolderPath("Resources") into fld "somefield" in the openstack
> > handler. On the Mac it gives me the full path to the application along
> with
> > "/Contents/Resources/_MacOS/". On the Windows version, the field is
> blank.
> >
> > So where does LC store files using specialFolderPath("Resources") under
> > Windows? And why are they available to any app using
> > specialFolderPath("Resources")?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Howard Bornstein