Windows 10 and LC9.0

R.H. roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Mon May 28 10:44:33 EDT 2018

Monte, I really appreciate that you want to put attention on Windows.
Creating a list of all bug reports and assigning bug number to them --
maybe I can do it, or others are already doing it. But that would be work
that should actually come out of the database of bug reports? It is
something that possibly would be better to do on your side? It makes no
sense if 10 people do the same.

Naturally, everybody is looking subjectively on things that seem to be most
critical.

Here is my personal view in terms of criticality and what I would like to
see fixed first.

1. Menus must open in any case at the location of the originating button,
not somewhere else. This affects end users who are using TWO monitors, or
even three... and makes applications nearly unusable in some cases, or
developers must avoid menus altogether. I assume that this is easy and a
matter of minutes maybe to fix. I reported it also last year and it was
confirmed.

2. The script editor is a delicate issue and almost all the time we spend
using it as Sean correctly stated. There are many reports about it. I like
to add that sometimes (not always) added scripts are not recognized and do
not compile if defined in a behavior button on my machine. It can mean
restarting LiveCode for LiveCode to recognize the script handler. I am not
sure it is reported, but it is one of the problems that suffer from the
demonstration-effect - when demonstrated, it does not show.

3. Long scripts (maybe not too powerful machines) tend to make it very hard
to script, open the script editor, typing, checking, saving ... the whole
cycle turns out to be a time waster. It leads to frustration because we
think and type 3x faster than the engine is following. (So, this also has
to do with continuously saving the stack and the saving time.) I assume
that fixing something deep within will fix everything else.

4. Error reporting: Very often on my side, no error is shown, but the
script has typing errors. My impression is that in earlier versions error
checking was much stronger. Sometimes, no error is shown, but the list of
handlers on the left side is not showing up. Then there is some handler not
working. Still the script shows that there is no error. Often enough even
referring to objects that do not exist, there is no error reported. The
resize-handler, for example, does not recognize any not existing objects,
but this is not limited to resizeHandler. It happens at other times as
well. Fixing in resizeHandler, maybe it fixes everywhere else as well?
Sometimes scripts silently fail without reporting and it is almost
impossible to find what went wrong. That is hardest to find, trying to
memorize when this behavior appeared the first time. Sometimes (actually
quite often) there is an error that pops up in the IDE error window (not in
the script editor), but this window is not visible. There is only a 1-pixel
wide line on my monitor. Hard to see even. When I touch it, it can be
scaled to become the visible window.

5. Selecting many controls and then trying to move them using the arrow
keys is a pain. I wrote my own selectObject() handlers in my own library
(rawkeyup message with optionkey down) to move objects around, resize them,
align them... I do not know if it is just a small IDE thing. It seems to
also affect other platforms.

6. Drag-and-drop of controls from the palette to the IDE window -- test it
again using TWO monitors. I believe the system is affected when using two
monitors (or more). Maybe it is easy to fix and reminds me of the menus
showing up somewhere in space.

7. Opening LiveCode, whether IDE or standalone, takes 30 seconds on my
machine. It is too long I believe. It may not be so critical, but most
other programs, except Photoshop and such beasts, open much faster. Of
course, a RAM disk would help. But if the issues are Windows-related then I
do not see why it works so much slower on Windows compared to other
platforms.

8. Standalone made with my Windows-10 system do not save correctly on
Windows-7 systems using a Splash-stack setup. I asked the user to change to
Windows-10. Nevertheless, it also happened to me sometimes, and when during
saving a copy of the stack file is made with the "tilde" in the name, it
fails to complete the saving. The tilde can be removed and all is as
before. But it is not a solution. How to find out what the error could be?

Use a slow machine for testing and a fast one for fixing ).

Looking forward to version 9.1 )))

Roland