Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

R.H. roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 09:57:55 EDT 2018

I like to thank everyone for help and suggestions !)

The suggestion from Jaqueline Landman gave me the workaround that I was
knowing that it would work: Using the "Copy Files" pane in the Standalone
Settings instead of using "Stacks".

So, thank you especially for this hint that saved me.

(For new and casual users: After compiling at least 50 x to find my error
and to know about errors generated in the Standalone and NOT in the IDE, I
created a handler that would receive information from each and every
statement writing "the result" and other information to a text file on disk
with a timestamp and some execution details. Simply setting a flag using a
hidden checkbox would stop executing this error catching. So, I am using a
"command catchError pMessage" handler in the lowest (or highest?) message
level (in my case library stack) that can be invoked from anywhere and
opens the error text file for append and immediately closes it. This works
pretty well even in a standalone for debugging purposes. The overhead is
manageable. Even on mobile that should work.)

I found one error in my code that had some bad influence. When the main
stack is opened from the complied splash stack and turning focus to the
main stack, trying to execute further instructions in the same handler
reverts back to the Splash stack and may find it impossible to execute.
Once the main stack is opened and control is given to it, Splash stack must
simply close and do nothing more.

Context Sensitive Help Suggestion

I was thinking of what especially new users might benefit from. I think it
is mainly information that might be missing. For example, what is the
meaning of a field "Destination Folder:" when it does not allow to enter a
path selected from disk? Or it should explain that these folders are
folders inside the specialfolderpath("resources") folder and that this
specialfolderpath("resources") changes for the compiled version, of course.
But what seems obvious is not always so obvious to a casual or new user.

The meaning and consequences of certain settings for compilation work (and
elsewhere) should ideally be available with a context-sensitive help right
at the spot describing more than just giving a title, and it could be
realized simply using a pop-up pane or opening a help window or opening an
appropriate help page in the browser. I would favor a context-sensitive
webpage help. This is a task that could be assigned to us in the community
may be. I would at least try to spend some time here.

Roland