Overwriting a file on a server

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Mar 6 10:33:29 EST 2018

More wisdom from Charles, sincere thanks!

However, I don’t seem to be able to mimic what my FTP software (Transmit on the Mac, or FileZilla) can do, which is to easily delete a file on a server  - the file in question is part of a web site hosted by DreamHost. I just want to use the URL functionality to do this, as discussed in my conversation below, but I always get 405 (http) or 530 (ftp). I have a vague suspicion that I should be transmitting my credentials to the server, which of course I did when I set up my FTP client, but I have absolutely no idea how to do this.

Many members of this list must have mucked around with files on a server - can someone point me to a tutorial on all this?

TIA

Graham