Need help with a project

Lagi Pittas iphonelagi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 06:31:18 EDT 2018

HI Peter,

The fact that it is a subscription system is the best protection you have.
Use the simplest protection that will tell you if the system has been
"pirated" - simple encryption of the company/institution address/details
for instance. Don't allow them to change the address/telephone number etc
in the program - so they have to "patch" the exe. When you notice this has
happened (5 lines of code) set a timer.
In 8 Months time you have a screen that comes up at boot time that says
"Problem with your program please call  before any lasting damage is done"
at xxxx-xxx-xxxx". If they don't call in say a month the program stops
working with your number on the front screen and How they can get a legal
copy".

Sage Payroll used to not protect their payroll, so come April when rates
changed, Sage always Got (gets?) a spike in sales - No questions asked as
long as the user can transfer his data from the "pirated" version.   The
people who will buy your program will buy it - the people who will copy
your program will copy it anyway - you didn't lose a sale you got free
advertising. How do you think microsoft replaced Lotus 123 - they removed
protection from Office then gave a £90 upgrade from any version (even non
legal version) after a couple of years.

Making your program indispensable (without too many barriers) to your
paying customers is the best way of building a loyal customer base.

Save yourself a lot of time hassle and money and make the subscription/name
the protection

My 2 pence worth

Lagi

p.s. If it can be read it can be broken

A 5 minute google search and a bit of memory ....
You'll be glad to hear no decompilers for Livecode - we are not on the
radar.

// If you lose your sourcecode in the future .....
http://www.javadecompilers.com/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/tool-apk-easy-tool-v1-02-windows-gui-t3333960
https://www.yeahhub.com/best-19-tools-used-reverse-engineering-2018-update/
http://www.refox.net/
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/05/ios-11-3-1-jailbreak-updates.html
http://www.decompiler.net/
https://www.vb-decompiler.org/
https://www.thoughtco.com/decompiling-delphi-1-3-1057974
http://www.dvdsmith.com/remove-sony-arccos-protection.html
https://www.roojs.com/blog.php/View/117/Recovering_encoded_php_files.html

//Even hardware dongles are not immune
https://www.brstudio.com/dongles/deskey-dk2-dk3-dongle-emulator/
http://www.dongleservice.com/dongle-bypass.phtml

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 at 02:08, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <