Uninstaller question

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 09:13:17 EST 2018

Well, preumably the "clever" thing to do is to gave your standalone some
unique name such as  "WildBoar.exe" or somesuch,
rather than a very pedesrian name such as "MyProg.exe" which risks
having a twin.

Then you'll need a routine to search the end-user's system to find all
examples of WildBoar.exe and delete them.

As you have pointed out, your executable may have been plonking log and
pref files in various places: and it shouldn't
really matter where the end-user has stored the original executable;
they should be in standard places determined by
your executable.

What I think you MUST do is make sure any log, temp and pref files have
"speicies specific" names so that
your uninstaller can track them down, dlete them, and NOT delete the
end-user's preferences for their
browser settings or what-have-ye.

--------------------------------

So . . .

1. Make your executable/standalone for whatever operating system(s) you
are building it.

2. Set up a computer for each target OS with a virgin system and install
your executable.

3. Find ALL the log, temp, cache and pref files your executable "strews"
around the system
and write their names down and their usual locations.

4. Go on a 4 week holiday to recover from the large amount of work
involved in doing that.

Richmond.