screenloc not actually centered after changing scalefactor (was Screen Resolution for Desktop Apps)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jan 1 18:34:26 EST 2018

On 12/31/17 7:31 PM, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode wrote:
> To do "some calculations", I thought of comparing the loc to the
> scalefactor. So ran the standalone on three devices, but saw no consistent
> corelation between the differing locs and the scalefactor.
>
> So, still no clue what to use for these calculations...

My math skills are terrible so we need someone more clever to fix my
calculation. But this seems to work for most scalefactors until you get
down to about 0.6 or lower:

on setloc pScale
   -- pScale = the desired scaleFactor
   put the screenloc into tSLoc
   if pScale <= 1 then
     put 1 + (1-pScale) into tRatio
   else
     put 1/pScale into tRatio
   end if
   put item 1 of tSLoc * tRatio into item 1 of tNewLoc
   put item 2 of tSLoc * tRatio into item 2 of tNewLoc
   set the scalefactor of this stack to pScale
   set the loc of this stack to tNewLoc
end setloc

I'm pretty sure there's a way to calculate the ratio without the "if"
clause so that it works for both large and small scales and I'm not sure
why it breaks at about 0.6. Hopefully one of our math gurus can advise.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com