widget properties

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Feb 25 17:18:03 EST 2018

Monte wrote:

 > I think probably the VCS use-case is a non-issue right now.

Agreed.

 >> If we have export for all object types, there's no
 >> reason (other than backwards compatibility) that the properties
 >> property couldn't return the value of every single gettable property
 >> of an object type.
 >
 > Yes there is. If we include all the different forms of text for
 > example (htmlText, text, rtfText, styledText) then we have to have
 > even more complicated precedence rules than we currently do when
 > setting.

FWIW, if it keeps things simpler I wouldn't change anything at all in
"the properties" beyond adding the export info for widgets.

Below I've copied the list of keys from getting "the properties" of a
field. Neither rtfText nor even text are there, because both are
permutations of the one form that covers what's needed to reproduce
field contents, htmlText.

Apparently a fair bit of thought went into "the properties".  Unless
there's a show-stopping need to alter it, I'd leave it as-is, add the
widget info, and move on to other tasks.

If something more complete or somehow different is needed in the future,
the future would be a good time to address it. :)  That is, maintain
what we have, and take your time thinking through a new form of this
sort of array representation of an object as that need becomes defined.
As much as I appreciate the interest in this, my own needs are modest,
and I know that you folks have quite a queue filled with other things.

altId
autoHilite
autoTab
backColor