Windows: "not responding"

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Aug 14 15:59:16 EDT 2018

I think they did. As I recall, the upshot was that this is a Windows thing, and Livecode is not the only victim. In fact, we use a product by Prism called DocRecord, and it will exhibit similar behavior when running on a slower PC with less than optimal resources.

I'm thinking maybe this would be a good task to hand off to some kind of agent app. It's easy to do with sockets, passing information back and forth. I wrote a Spinner app and compiled it, which would receive Applescript commands to show/hide itself, display a progress indicator, and display a status message. Since it was compiled as it's own app, it ran in it's own thread, so leaving my main app to go about it's business while it was doing it's thing.

For my purposes it was only a progress dialog because an animated gif will only update while Livecode is idle, which it never is when I need a progress indicator.

Bob S