Re [OT] Snakey Problem

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Aug 13 14:26:57 EDT 2018

On 08/13/2018 10:32 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

 > I've no intention of starting a licensing war and I'm not, but I
think I do have to make an important point so as to not mislead others
who are also looking to sell the software they produce (of which there
are probably a fair few on this list - since this is a development tool
mailing list!).

OK. Fair points. My use of 'no license' and 'silly licensing' was a bit
off the cuff and not intended to start what this is becoming. So let me
just say that I do indeed issue a license with the stacks, and the
licensing fits somewhere in between MIT and WTF. There are two parts:
for humans, and for lawyers. Here's the human part:

Ah, Software Licensing Agreement
(For both personal and commercial use).

For humans:

You bought a copy of this software, it's yours to do whatever you like.
The code is open for you to examine or modify.
Don't take me to court saying you have claims on this software, because
you don't.
Please don't give out copies to others.
If you find bugs, please let me know and I'll fix them and everybody gains.
If it turns out that this agreement doesn't match up with LiveCode's
license agreement, I'll update it.

The lawyers part is longer and translates the above into something that
even lawyers can read.

 > Also, I should also point out that Python does come with a software
license.

As should any FOSS product. Interestingly, here's the original python
license in its entirety:

Copyright © 1991 - 1995, Stichting Mathematisch Centrum Amsterdam, The
Netherlands.  All rights reserved.

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
supporting documentation, and that the name of Stichting Mathematisch
Centrum or CWI not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.

STICHTING MATHEMATISCH CENTRUM DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO
THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL STICHTING MATHEMATISCH CENTRUM BE LIABLE FOR
ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF
CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com

--