Tutorial for MAP widget

andrew at midwestcoastmedia.com andrew at midwestcoastmedia.com
Thu Aug 9 14:07:04 EDT 2018

Klaus-

After further inspection I agree with you that this widget needs a
proper tutorial. I was looking at the module itself trying to find
some undocumented features (like a polygon or circle overlay instead
of just a polyline) and came up empty handed.

After looking at the W3Schools tutorial @
https://www.w3schools.com/graphics/google_maps_overlays.asp I noticed
that you could create multiple polyline segments using the native
Google Maps API. The demo code in the LC 9.0.0 docs (not the
dictionary, but the doc referenced in my previous post) uses the
following example:

    put "55,-3,55,-5" into tPolylines["line"]["coordinates"]

It isn't documented, but this is a comma delimited list of lat/long
value pairs (also separated by a comma) to be used as points for
connecting line segments. So in the provided example a line segment is
drawn from "55,-3" to "55,-5" on the map. But you can draw a triangle
between Edinburgh (55,-3), New York (40,-74), and Cairo (30,31) then
back to Edinburgh with this:

    put "55,-3,40,-74,30,31,55,-3" into tPolylines["line"]["coordinates"]

The closed triangle needs 4 sets of coordinates, not just 3, so it can
return to the "home" point. Still not quite the polygon overlay that
the Google Maps API provides, but a neat option that wasn't evident by
reading the current documentation.

It's also not explicitly documented that the "color" property will
accept a RGBA value so the following example provides an orange-ish
overlay with a ~39% opacity (100 / 255):

    put "228,128,0,100" into tPolylines["line"]["color"]

In fact, the dictionary reference for polylines only shows RGB as an
example. This is an extremely powerful widget... if you know what it
is actually doing.

--Andrew Bell