valueDiff for arrays?

Brian Milby brian at milby7.com
Sat Aug 4 15:00:05 EDT 2018

Plugins should probably be de-scriptified for distribution for this
reason.  A similar argument could be made for some IDE library code too.  I
have to wonder if there is any performance impact to the number of stacks
the IDE has to deal with now that so much is scriptified.  (The list of
stacks is a linked list and finding a stack by name goes through the list
at least in one spot.).  I've been thinking of how to test this sort of
thing to measure it

It would be similar to how copy-on-write does incur a small amount of
overhead when compared to pass-by-reference that was demonstrated in an
earlier discussion.  The result there was that if you need to optimize for
speed, reference is still helpful.  If you are purely concerned about
memory usage, then it isn't needed.

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 1:41 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <