Android assistance / information?

Douglas Ruisaard dougr at telus.net
Thu Apr 19 11:59:50 EDT 2018

Anyone is this community as versed in Android as Monte Goulding is in iOS?  One of the beauties of LC is its cross-platform ability.  The app I've written in iOS ports just fine to Android .. at least the user-interactive and data processing parts do.  .. without changing one line of code (and it's a complex app) ... how slick is that??? Obviously, there is a lack of an equivalent Android BLE function for communicating to my Arduino which I have working splendidly in iOS.  So... I'm looking for information / assistance on how to implement a "hardwired" connection from an Arduino to an Android device  (currently have an older- Galaxy Tab 4 running v 5.1.1) ... but if I need a newer model, newer OS, that's do-able.

I'm hoping (?against hope?) that all I need is the "device name" for the USB port on the Android and the rest I can handle using the "open device" serial handles in LC.  I understand that one reason that LC may have and still is avoiding the Android BLE topic is due to the varieties and variations within the numerous version of the Android OS's.  For me, I just need to be able to demonstrate a mobile device (iOS or Android) being able to communicate with an Arduino app via a USB hardwire connection.  I REALLY don't care which OS it is and if I have to use iOS for BLE and Android for USB... that's just fine!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Doug