Android Audio Playback & Recording

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 09:48:10 EDT 2017

Hi BR

More specifically, I'm developing an app to help aphasia sufferers to practice their pronunciation of simple everyday words.  The idea is that they will see the word in a large text size together with a picture to reinforce the meaning of the word.  They will hear the word pronounced by the tablet and then attempt to say the word themselves.  They will be able to repeatedly try to say the word until they get it right.

I have the basic UI flow working and I've written the app such that it consists of a companion app for the Mac/PC that loads the media (list of words, list of pictures and list of related sound clips) into background cards and custom properties.  The idea is that I can have a small collection of files & folders that become absorbed into the app by running it in the development environment prior to generating an APK for uploading into the tablet.  This way the app is self-contained, with flexible media already prepared for use.  This is working as well as the UI.

I have the following left to do in order to complete this app and get a copy delivered (pre-installed on a Fire 7 tablet) to an elderly relative of a friend:

1. Find a way of getting the Fire/Android to play an arbitrary sound clip (typically less than 2-3 secs). I've gone for WAV format initially but I can easily make them something else (MP3, AAC, OGG, etc). ANY IDEAS for this?

2. Find a way of getting the Fire/Android to record the sufferer's speech (probably less than 5-10 secs). ANY IDEAS for this?

3. Figure out how to compare the two sound clips (sample against user), or convert the user speech input into text for comparison with the original Word. Again, any good ideas would be welcome, but I'm prepared to do a bit of general research about this.

Points 1. and 2. above are potential showstoppers as the lack of either one stops this project in its tracks! Point 3. above still needs doing, but there are various ways of tackling this.

Thanks for any help with this.

Peter
--
Peter Reid