IDE breaks down over time

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Tue Nov 28 22:12:01 EST 2017

Re PB:

> 1. there's no refresh button
> 2. it doesn't auto-refresh
> 3. it empties its contents at odd moments

4. it screws up it’s own view from time to time making it impossible to see which control is linked which group

These are part of the reason I set about making a plugin to add some shortcuts to the IDE menus, now I can just use the shortcut Shift-Cmd-B twice and it will close then re-open the PB. Probably not ideal, but it works for me.

It’s here if anybody wants it: http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/813/LC-Menu-Shortcuts - It’s not perfect, but it works if you are careful with the shortcuts that you choose. BEWARE - I've only tested on Mac, so I don’t know how well it will work with Windows/Linux, it may need some tweaking.

If any of this is useful for a 'hacking the ide' multi-part project then I would be happy to contribute this to the project.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be too difficult to add a menu item and shortcut to the Tools menu just to force the Project Browser to refresh, but I haven’t delved into the PB scripts to see how feasible that would be, or what would be required.

I know Mark Waddingham is against using a refresh command/button/menu item/whatever, and I can understand that long term, it would be way better to have the PB behaving correctly all (or at least most) of the time, but in the meantime we still need to work with it, preferably without too much frustration. I did find it frustrating, but now that I can force it to refresh relatively easily and quickly it has become much more useful, to me at least.

Paul