Rant on my favourite topics : LC server with a side-dish of on-rev :-)

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Nov 18 20:17:57 EST 2017

Thanks Matthias.

See my reply to Ralf re. where to find ArrayToJSON etc.

I guess I could install my own version of LC server in each cgi-bin -
but I play around with a lot of add-on and sub-domains - some within
public-html, some not - and it just feels like unnecessay extra work to
install (and remember to update) those. on-ev should simply install a
more recent version as their default server engine. And why should I -
and every other user of on-rev - need to do this additional crap ?

7.1.0 was released over 2 years ago. The last release of anything in the
'7' series was 18 months ago.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of bug fixes since then.

I'll submit a support request asking for the default to move up to a
non-prehistoric version, and throw in a request for some kind of
multi-version support. Even if it was only what HostM does it would be a
help, and if they added a configuration to select which of the
series-latest releases should be chosen it would be great.

For anyone who doesn't use HostM - they use the latest released version
for .lc scripts (currently 8.1.7), but by default support script file
extensions .lc6, .lc7, .lc8 etc. to specify which series to use - and
will then use the latest release within it). Extending this scheme by
making it easy to say, e.g. .lc maps to .lc8, would make it much more
tractable to always use the latest, without renaming files all over the
place if you ever want to switch.

-- Alex.