using LC as an emulator

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Nov 7 10:43:51 EST 2017

I attempted this once for a dBase accounting application. What I ran into is certain things like & which can be used to concatenate, but can also be used to denote a macro substitution variable. Periods would be used to dereference chained macro variables. To reproduce this in Livecode would mean constructing a command statement and then doing it. But then inside quotes a period might be a table.column delimiter. I was going to have to do a lot of conditional interpretation of such things.

Also, a great deal of code was devoted to drawing fields and buttons onscreen, then getting the user input for them. There was no corollary in livecode for that, unless I wanted to create fields on the fly, which would have sucked.

After a while I saw that it would have been much easier to start from scratch, running each input screen or report, and then graphically recreating it in Livecode (Revolution back then), and then doing the business logic as best I could. It was a large application.

Bob S