Markdown ultra-lite

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Nov 5 20:31:20 EST 2017

Well, just for completeness, I'll report that I have decided to use my
own simple-minded version rather than mergMarkdownToXHTML.

I had added one tiny convenience feature (a trailing "*" in a URL would
be converted to make the link open in a new browser tab/window - by
changing it to  TARGET="_blank" ) to make it easier for my 'authors' to
get it right. Turns out this isn't *just* a convenience - regular
Markdown has *no way* to specify a link that opens in a new tab. In
fact, Markdown doesn't allow spaces in the URI, so you can't even type
it out longhand. Since many, or even most, of the links in articles on
my site will want to open in new tabs, it's out of the question to do
without that - so mergMarkdownToXHTML isn't going to work.

So - I'm back to my own converter .... which will undoubtedly get a few
more features added in the next week or so, so I'll post the final
version (or a link to it) when I think I'm done.

-- Alex.