urgent iOS internet issue (url request timeout setting?)

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 31 21:44:02 EDT 2017

OK – I have a bit of a serious issue on iOS where if I lose wifi connectivity the first attempt to get data from a url causes problems.

I’m attempting to upload a file to Dropbox (that stuff all works fine) and I do an initial test to see whether the device is online (by trying to access a url). If it is I proceed with the upload, if not I just save a local copy of the file. Anyway, the first time I do the test the request seems to take forever (minutes?) – which I don’t have (I need the request to be completed within a few seconds). The second time around is ok though.

Any ideas on how I prevent this initial ‘hang’. Is it possible to set a shorter timeout or something?

Terry...