HTML5 deployment: progress comes into sight

hh hh at hyperhh.de
Wed May 31 03:02:10 EDT 2017

The browser widget is essentially kind of a GUI to libbrowser, cleverly made.

@Dan
Using all these js libraries is already possible (where the inherent HTML5 of
the widget allows that -- different by platform), just do it.
Examples of going that way are among the most recent 10 of "Sample stacks".

@BR
If you write the HTML5 by yourself you can send messages to LC or events like the
clickLoc or the mouseLoc when "hovering" the browser, also when clicking "buttons"
of an <svg> element. I'll give a demo of that soon in the LC Builder forum.

What's very difficult, as you write in detail, are "callbacks" for _synchronous_
communication. You can have that also but have to code a lot (in javascript).
That's not a problem of the LC side. But it could be made much more easy to handle
by building such things into libbrowser, then usable directly from LC Script. And
it would make a lot of js synchronous (and by that very slow ...).

---

If I understand correctly Mark speaks currently about
[1] using a browser widget within the _HTML5 deployment_ (emscripten).
[2] using via FFI javascript or (part of) libbrowser _within_ LC Builder.

Part [1], the current thread, will hopefully allow for example to have the "sample
stacks" imageToolKit or the recent SVGplay-stacks in a HTML5 standalone. The speed
results will be very interesting.

Part [2] will allow the use of javascript libs _within_ our widgets (not by talking
_via LC Script_ forth to and back from a browser widget).

Using or not using another widget from LC Builder via LC Script arises the next
new question:
[3] How can widgets easily communicate amongst themselves?