Very naive URL question

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sat May 27 11:17:52 EDT 2017

Thanks Mike - I take your point about having the password etc embedded, so I am going for your “http” solution. I had naively thought that “http” was exclusively involved in the serving of web pages, and i imagined that a simple text file isn’t one of those. Thanks to you, I now know better.

Anyway I have just tried this and find that it works beautifully in my browsers (Google Chrome and Safari) - I just use the complete reference to the file, and I see the contents of the text file on the screen - but so far it doesn’t work in the LC Message Box. I can’t see what I’m doing wrong. Again, not only does the text not appear, but there is nothing in ‘the result’ either. It’s as if I had not executed the ‘URL’. As an experiment, I also tried to download an actual web page (with an extension of .html) which I assumed would appear in the Message Box as a long string of text. Still nothing.

If I ever get this sorted out, I will also try to find out why Transmit puts a different version of the URL onto the clipboard, without ‘www’ and repeating the domain name. Could be a bug I suppose - but probably not.

Still puzzled. I must be doing something **really** stupid.

Graham