Sql problem

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed May 24 00:30:13 CEST 2017


William,

If I may add a bit of personal opinion here... so, I have been using and
storing LC stuff in databases for a long time. Not only I have been storing
arrays in database but I had them flying over TCP sockets and being
decoded/encoded as needed. For a long time I used the same approach as you,
which is to arrayEncode + base64 the array.

I don't do that any longer. That combination is very hard to debug. I would
advise you simply to use JSON and store it as JSON on the db. Instead of
encoding the array twice, you do it only once with jsonexport() and then
when importing, you do it only once with jsonimport()

Not only that reduces complexity but it also makes it a lot easier to
debug. As a bonus, your data can be consumed by other applications which
are not based on LC which may open a whole ecosystem of plugins and
interoperation to your product.

Cheers
andre


On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 9:45 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> Never mind. I got it working. I’m not exactly sure about the problem
> because the method I used should have been quite general. However, what
> made it work is that I had the contents of a list field in the array I was
> storing and that somehow caused an error when I tried to decode the array.
> I deleted that array key, because there was no reason I needed to have it
> in the db anyway, and it worked.
>
> I’ll look into why and report back if I find anything interesting.
> Best,
> Bill
>
> > On May 21, 2017, at 5:23 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
> >
> > Whoops, I lied.
> > The data is stored incorrectly in the simulator too.
> > Hmm….
> > The IDE stores it correctly. There is something in the encoding that I’m
> missing.
> > Bill
> >
> >> On May 21, 2017, at 5:03 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Folks:
> >> I have an app that stores data to a mysql database on my server. It
> works fine in the IDE and in the iPhone simulator. However, when I load the
> app onto the iPhone, the saved data is corrupted.
> >>
> >> I am saving an array. The array is saved in a big string that has been
> base64 encoded.
> >>
> >> When saving, I do:
> >>
> >> put arrayEncode(tArray) into tData
> >>
> >> put base64encode(tData) into xData
> >>
> >> put urlEncode(xData) into xData
> >>
> >> xData is sent to the db
> >>
> >> When I read back the data, I do the inverse:
> >>
> >> urlDecode
> >> base64Decode
> >> arrayDecode
> >>
> >> The base64 data on the db is different when I store it from the iPhone.
> I can see this with Navicat, which I use for db management. So, the problem
> is in the storing of the data.
> >>
> >> What the heck? I am just using a post command to a php script that
> writes to the db.
> >>
> >> Why would the iPhone data that is sent be different from that sent in
> the simulator?
> >>
> >> Mac OSX 10.12.4, Livecode 8.1.4 (rc2) and XCode 8.3.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be welcome.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Bill P.
> >>
> >> William A. Prothero
> >> http://earthlearningsolution.org/
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> use-livecode mailing list
> >> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> >> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> >> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > use-livecode mailing list
> > use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> > Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> > http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>



-- 
http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.


More information about the use-livecode mailing list