Writing Extensions

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue May 23 12:49:16 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-23 18:02, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> I'm rather disappointed that there's no way to search the guides. For
> instance, to find out why the switch statement wasn't working in LCB,
> I opened the LCB guide and found that the only way to discover this
> was to read through the entire text. A simple control-F "switch" would
> have either pinpointed the section or given no results.

Or you could try reading the LiveCode Builder Language Reference Guide -
which gives a full account of all the definition and control structure
syntax (modulo the occasional error - one which you pointed out the
other day - bug reports for which would be most appreciated) ;)

In regards to 'switch' - 'switch' in LiveCode copied the C 'switch'
which
is pretty much universally considered to be one of the worst designs of
such a thing and we didn't want to repeat that 'mistake'.

There are various other designs out there in various different
languages;
for now though 'if then/else if then/else if then/else/end if' isn't too
bad a substitute if your condition var is just a var (and not an
expression).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I don't believe Python has 'switch' either, so it isn't 'only LCB'
which doesn't - however, we do intend to add such a structure when we
have
time to design one without the flaws of the C model.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps