Writing Extensions

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Fri May 19 00:23:37 EDT 2017

On 05/18/2017 07:14 PM, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode wrote:
> Now that we are talking about widgets and extensions, many thanks again
> Mark Wieder for updating Peter Thirkell multicolor svg widget.
>
> Just for curiosity, Could you write a blog entry about your process of
> updating this widget? Maybe others would find this useful to update their
> own widgets.

I'll think about it, but I'm probably the wrong person to write up the
process of creating/modifying widgets at this point. But I'd love to see
Peter write up the process he went through. All I did was add some
flexibility to the xml parsing (which in LCB ends up working with char
offsets and is ridiculously ugly, fragile, and error-prone) and allowing
hex representations of color specifications.

> If you have time, Could you compile this same widget for LCB of LC 8.1.3?
> I am curious to learn if deploying a widget for both LC8 and LC9 is too
> difficult or just requires some simple changes.

Here's a link to the folder for the LC8.1.3 version - no changes to the
source required, but the Extension Builder popped up a few extraneous
windows during the process. I just canceled out of them and the widget
seems to work.

<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gr8p7d6urk2a3st/AAA3rWHHp2VK8kBOkMINzofla?dl=0>

I had to move it out of my Extensions folder after testing it since
having both the LC8 and LC9 versions in places messes things up. This
changing binary format thing is a pain.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com