[ANN] This Week in LiveCode 82

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue May 16 03:44:29 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-15 21:21, hh via use-livecode wrote:
>> Mark W. wrote:
>> > and most of these legacy Blend Modes:
>> > clear, noop, notSrcAnd, notSrcAndReverse,
>> > notSrcCopy, notSrcOr, notSrcOrReverse,
>> > notSrcXor, reverse, set, srcAnd,
>> > srcAndReverse, srcCopy, srcOr,
>> > srcOrReverse, srcXor, blend, addPin
>> > addOver, subPin, transparent
>> > adMin, addMax
>
>> We're still on the fency about all of these - I do wonder how
>> much they are used anymore particularly as they do not fit into
>> the RGBA rendering model which everyone uses anymore and as such
>> are incredibly inefficient. (They will never be acceleratable,
>> for example).
>
>> I'd be surprised if people couldn't get similar effects by using
>> appropriate blend inks - if they are still in use at all.
>
>> Ali L. wrote:
>> To be fair, the docs claim the legacy blend modes have been deprecated
>> since LC 5! We've supported them for quite a long time
>> post-deprecation...
>
> 1. Please read this twice and don't cry ...
>
> The default blendLevel of each and every LC object that has an ink is
> "srcCopy" --- 'incredibly inefficient' as you judge it.
>
> 2. How do you define a "similar" effect?
> 3. Please tell me for example which "similar" blend effect allows a
> dark
>    theme in the script editor which is currently simly done by setting
> the
>    fields ink to "notSrcCopy".

Okay so - I take it the current approach is:

   edit script of stack "revmenubar"
   set the ink of field "Script" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1" to
"notSrcCopy"

Which gives the exact same effect as:

   set the ink of field "Script" of stack "revNewScriptEditor 1" to
"blendDifference"

As far as I can see, anyway...

However a better effect (due to the way drawing works, transparency,
antialiasing and
such like) is to actually set the colors of the field. i.e.

   - backgroundColor black (inverse of white)
   - each color assigned to the colorization inverted in the same way

The former is directly configurable in preferences; the latter current
has three
fixed modes also configurable in preferences (none, default, classic).
The colorization
'schemes' are defined in the seColorizationLoadScheme handler in the
revseutilitiesbehavior.livecodescript file:

<https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/blob/b633a07eddc577887b94bd09cbc2d4ef4f50f4be/Toolset/palettes/script%20editor/behaviors/revsestackbehavior.livecodescript>

These are easy to add to - or better yet, a little dialog in preferences
which allows
you to add / remove them would be cool.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.