Transparent browser widgets?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon May 15 07:19:18 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-13 19:35, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> Apparently, both WebView (android) and uiwebview (iOS) have transparent
> modes.
>
> Would it be easy for the LC team to implement a transparent mode for
> browser widgets, where the background color is transparent, allowing
> other objects to show through?
>
> This would obviate the need for some the processor intensive image
> transfers in and out of the widget.
>
> I know one would have to set the background-color of the body element
> to transparent and set a couple of settings in the WebView calls. Is
> that all it would take?

The browser widget uses a system 'view' (UIView on Mac, View on Android,
HWND on Windows, NSView on Mac and X11 Window on Linux) to host the
browser
control - thus whether or not they can be composited with a transparent
background depends on the system.

For Mac, Android and iOS it is probably possible by just toggling a flag
to say whether the view is opaque or not (although I've not looked into
it).

For Windows, Linux things are more tricky - as it requires that child
windows composite into the parent window. The 'traditional' model on
those
platforms is that child windows are islands-on-their-own. That being
said,
CEF does have a windowless mode in more recent versions which might be
usable to get a similar effect. However, I'm not sure what would be
involved
in providing that as a choice.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.