put x into URL... error on Windows network drive

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 4 11:37:20 EDT 2017

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > This is a long shot, but has anyone ever experienced any problems
 > with:
 >
 > put <variable> into URL ("file:"&tFilespec)
 >
 > On network drives under Windows, specifically where the users entire
 > "home' drive is a network drive (using Active Directory).
 >
 > An error occurs ("the result" is coming back non-empty), but I don;t
 > have the specific error - this occurs at a customer site and this
 > particular part of the code does not display the Operating System
 > error in "the result" to the customer
 >
 > It does not occur every time, but frequently.
 >
 > This is a standalone built under a pre-LC7 version of Livecode (so
 > pre-Unicode) so could it be a unicode character in the filespec?

With file I/O I've gotten into the habit of adding a call to the
sysError function to let the OS provide the specific error code related
to the failure, e.g.:

   put tSomething into url tSomeFile
   if the result is not empty then
      answer the result && "(" & sysError() &")"
      exit to top
    end if

--
  Richard Gaskin