Line numbers for soft-wrapped styled text?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 25 11:36:01 EDT 2017

I have an app that allows the user to write styled text, in which any
portion of that text may have a variety of styles and sizes, and may be
long enough to soft-wrap.

I'd like to add a line-number field next to it, but I haven't come up
with an efficient way of setting up those line numbers so that they
align vertically with the lines next to them.

Ideally the line numbers would reflect true lines, separated by CRs, as
opposed to any soft-wrapped lines.

What I'm after is common in many apps that support line numbers for
style text, but alas I don't have a ready solution.

Anyone here done this?  Any tips you can share for doing this efficiently?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems