synonyms

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Jun 26 13:59:05 EDT 2017

On 06/26/2017 03:55 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> I think it is probably generally true that the more consistent and
> simpler the language is, the easier it is to learn.

...and I would follow that with the (long-running by now) argument that
synonyms provide for an ease-of-use facility in coding and therefore a
simpler approach to using the language. For the trivial case here, if I
can't remember whether the language supports "is" or "=" for variable
assignments, I can use one or the other without having to interrupt my
train of thought to look it up in the dictionary/guides.

One of LiveCode's strengths is the fact that there are many possible
solutions to a given problem, and the xtalk language allows much
flexibility in solving it. For a problem placed before any three coders,
you will find at least four different solutions. Limiting the language
limits the ways in which a problem may be thought of - that's the basis
of the linguistic relativism, and it applies to programming languages as
well as to natural languages.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com