Server Installation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 19 12:31:03 EDT 2017

Bob Sneidar wrote:
 > On Jun 16, 2017, at 17:23 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> In many cases you'll find you don't need to change permissions and
 >> then change them back; you can temporarily raise your own permissions
 >> with sudo to edit files and leave permissions as originally
 >> configured.
 >
 > True, if using terminal, but I was editing the file with the GUI text
 > editor. I suppsoe I could have launched the text editor as sudo...

True.  But most servers won't have a GUI installed, so it can be well
worth the time to get to know Nano.

As with a GUI editor, you can launch Nano with sudo:

    sudo nano somefile.txt

You probably won't want to use Nano to write a book, but for quick
editing of config files it's pretty good, much easier to learn than vim
or emacs.

If you're on a system that doesn't have Nano installed, on a
Debian-based system like yours you can install it with apt-get:

   sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install nano

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems