Ben Beaumont jumps ship

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 13:28:09 EDT 2017

The most important thing is your message is "I remember teaching myself"
. . .

LiveCode should be banging on about this endlessly; I am trying to teach
myself C#
and getting thoroughly bogged down.

I am also gently teaching myself HyperNext, and because that is
Object-based like Hypercard
and LiveCode it is pretty painless. HyperNext is an effort put together
by one person, and as such
is both amazing as a one-person job and considerably inferior to
LiveCode for the same reason.

Admittedly I did teach myself PASCAL in 1984 (mainly because I really
couldn't even begin to
understand what the lecturers in the Maths department were talking
about): but, having got through that
when I "found" Hypercard (1993) the whole thing was far less painful.

LiveCode is quite modular (if one thinks of controls as modules) and as
such one can
build up from simples to very complicated stuff (c.f. LEGO) relatively
easily and quickly.

Richmond.