[OT]h.264 alternatives

Simon Smith hello at simonsmith.co
Wed Jul 19 17:24:40 EDT 2017

I would stay with h.264 if possible - its popular and supported by most
platforms. Having to trouble shoot video issues on an ongoing basis is not
really fun. But yes - there is a licencing requirement if its being used
commercially - no idea how actively it is policed.

Are the video's going to be shared commercially? How will they be accessed
etc etc etc. Depending on the video's, length and number of users etc ,
there could be no actual costs incurred -
http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/AVC/Documents/avcweb.pdf and even if
costs were to be incurred, what would be the support costs and possibly
losses if a less popular codec was used.

Carpe diem

*Simon Smith*
m. +27 83 306 7862

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 11:13 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <