Why is libcef included in standalone?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jul 18 12:26:31 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-18 18:07, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
> Using LC 8.1.5, I have unchecked “Browser (CEF)” option in the
> “Inclusions” section of the “Standalone Application Settings”.
> However, libcef.dll is still included in the standalone build on
> Windows.  It is not included in the build for OSX.  Am I right that
> this dll is solely for the use of the Browser Widget?  If so, can I
> simply delete it from the build?  Are there associated files I should
> also remove?

libcef.dll is used by both revBrowser and the browser widget - so if you
have either checked it will be included.

If you aren't using the browser widget nor revBrowserOpenCEF then you
should be able to remove it without harm.

> In my opinion, why add this ridiculously large dll (46.4MB!) when you
> can simply use revBrowserOpen and get the same results?  Am I missing
> something here?

If you use revBrowserOpen on Windows then you get (embedded) Internet
Explorer - which is fine if the stuff you are doing works in Internet
Explorer.

CEF is a WebKit based browser, which is what you get on Android, iOS and
Mac. This means that using CEF on Windows (its the only option on Linux)
gives you something much more consistent across platforms.

Admittedly Edge is a lot better than IE was at standards-compliance.
However, it is still *not* quite the same environment as any of the
WebKit based ones.

So, if you are doing web-based things in your app and don't want to have
to do (what can be a lot of) of work to ensure that everything works
across all platforms; the 46.4Mb is a small price to pay IMHO.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps