[ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-8

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jul 18 03:59:11 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-17 23:25, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
> Actually it’s quite helpful within strings. Consider a string to be
> used with the merge function or just the likelihood of wanting a pair
> of brackets in a string rather than a single one. As for quotes as
> they are not valid within a string if you are typing one it’s highly
> likely you want two and to concatenate something between. For example:
>
> put “foo baz”
> — come along later and edit to
> put “foo” && tBar && “baz”
>
> There is already an autocomplete preference which the bracket
> completion and control structure completion checks but it’s currently
> not exposed in the IDE UI. Do we want fine grained control over which
> parts of autocompletion we want active? That could be confusing.
>
> Bracket highlighting does need a color pref… I guess if this is empty
> it could turn it off entirely if people want that.

I think it is worth having a preference for both highlighting and
completion - it serves people's individual tastes, and as long as the
preference is discoverable then it won't add any complexity.

Ideally highlighting would be context aware - so outside of a string, it
highlights other brackets outside of strings; but when in a string it
highlights brackets in strings:

   put (1 "a(2" & tVar ")2" )1 after tFoo

(Numbers used to indicate matching pairs)

I was thinking in terms of syntactically - missing the point of
in-string highlighting (as HH and Mark Wieder pointed out).

Indeed, the current approach is an approximation to the ideal and adding
{ and } to highlighting wouldn't do any harm; and would serve the
use-case of JSON and similar generation.

In terms of ' then, for much the same reason that would probably be
useful - although that might require a bit more work on the highlighting
code as it isn't a matched pair (@montegoulding?).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps