intersect . . . invisible images

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 15:36:18 EDT 2017

My parents got a TV when I was 9 (1971), but, because they were educational
and social snobs did not allow me to watch anything except "nice"
children's programmes
on the BBC (one of the presenters later went to prison for paedophilia).

I did not really get into TV until, oddly enough, I was shipped off to
boarding school
  where I encountered all the cheap American series such as 'Planet of
the Apes'
(the series - which I now own on DVD), "Alias Smith and Jones" and that
one with Telly Savalas
sucking a lollipop, Oh, and, inevitably "Mission Impossible".

Plus loads of cowboy stuff.

These gave me an incredibly distorted view of American culture (as it
did to many school kids
brought up inwith the British Isles in the 1970s) which was not
completely wiped away by 3 years in
Carbondale, Illinois (with a few side trips to Pennsylvania and
Connecticut).

My "high spot" was when I met a Sin-Eater in the Ozarks, in Arkansas.

One thing it did not do was tell me anything about an American sense of
humour.

After all the series all seemed to consist of John Wayne knock-offs
walking around
as if they had filled their underpants, men dressed up as odd-looking
chimpanzees,
or Peter Graves watching tape-recorders disappear in puffs of smoke in
the backs of sleazy head shops.

Actually, in Britain we had our own sort of 'Twilight Zone', also called
'The 1970s' when nothing worked,
90% of everyone was on constant strike because the Labour Party couldn't
keep the Unions happy,
and we had electricity cuts (Unions), the "Work to Rule" rubbish and so on.

After the 'Twilight Zone" we had "The Woman in The Blue Suit" who was
neither better nor worse, only very, very different.

Then we had "The Man with No Face" . . . by which time I'd b*ggered off
to more interesting places such as Egypt, Sweden,
Israel, the UAE, and just post-Commie Bulgaria.

However, I have watched 'ALF' at various times dubbed into 7 languages;
but never in the original.

Not forgetting "Mein namen is Herr Bond."

Richmond.