Saturated fat

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Jul 6 06:51:47 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-06 12:01, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> Why do I have a feeling that at one point there was some discussion
> about making the LC "thang" even more modular so that one
> could make "trim" standalones?

The download size of the DMG/installer has ballooned because of all the
prebuilt engines which are now included (two for linux, essentially two
for mac, one for windows, one for android, six or so for iOS). There are
also a lot more externals (again repeated for each platform) -
especially in Indy and Business.

Unicode data is probably responsible for most of the difference in
engine size between 4.5 and 8.

In 9 the situation has got slightly worse for now - all engines
currently include the FULL ICU data which is something like 10-15Mb.
We're currently working on reducing this though.

We are still working towards modularization - however we aren't there
yet.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps