Delete element from array

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Jan 26 22:09:39 EST 2017

Others can please chime in here… I'm not sure exactly why the new dictionary is "irritating" but it is.

let's say I want to see all the properties for buttons. I think the old dictionary gave us that option.

Now if I click on "association "button"  and click type "properties" I get the button props, but the top window on the right only shows a only a few

there was a view in the older dictionary that had a much longer list… I would prefer myself a left column that was really long so I can see at a glance all the props that the vertical column height will allow, depending on how the user has the window sized… and the definitions on the right take up the whole vertical space i.e. split window horizontally.

IMHO we get:
1) to see a longer list of dictionary entries with out scrolling and
 2) can read more of the definition without scrolling.  to conserve screen space I could narrow the window and the definition area on the right panel would narrow responsively.

OK now if I type "htmltext" into the search, it comes up empty… why? well of course… I am now "stuck" in

associations: "button"
type: "property"

I'm scratching my head… what is happening?  Let's say I have a misconception that htmltext has something to do with buttons (it does not, but newbies will not know that) so I'm just stuck… my search gave me nothing.. I'm trying to understand buttons.  the right and left arrow don’t do anything…

In the far left column you need a "clear" button or something… I could click that, and then my search for "htmltext" would return results (without having to type again.)  Only now as I test did I discover that the way to dismiss the filters is to click on the filter label "button" or "properties" to "back out" of where you are… that is UI "mysterious hidden behavior" that breaks all the rules for any good UI design… at least put a small X  top the right of each filter or a "clear all" or something.  I don't mind a few "mystery meat" icons… any 8 year old today just clicks on everything.. but you don't even have a control to reset the space back to "top..

OK so I dismiss the filters on the left (but inadvertently leave my search string  "htmlText" in the box top right) click on group filter, database list of terms is empty… Oh.. .duh I have to go up and manually delete my search string…*now* the list appears again..

Then there's the two little arrows at the top next ot a clock… what do they do? hmm, I go to  control structure filter… click on  the left arrow at the top and takes me to "revCloseCursor"  Why?  Oh wait, I guess that was my previous view…

It just feels more like a "burden" now to look for information. Perhaps others with more UI/UX experience can offer thoughts on this.  I'm using it more and more now that I'm away from server side code and code the UI again (too much fun…) Maybe its just me… and I need to "get used to it" like riding a motor cycle instead of a bike….